Before you speak, listen. Before you write, think. Before you spend, earn. Before you invest, investigate. Before you criticize, wait. Before you pray, forgive. Before you quit, try. Before you retire, save. Before you die, give.

~William A. Ward

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Why is being frugal a bad thing?

Why is being cheap or frugal always looked at as being a negative trait?

My friends and family are ALWAYS calling me cheap. Initially I would get offended when they made remakes about me being "cost conscious"; however, as I have matured and learn to accept and love my uniqueness, I now embrace the criticism and use it as an opportunity to educate others of the potential benefit of being "cost conscious".

I say "cost conscious" because I realize that I have to ease everyone into frugality.....taking baby steps is the key!

A few months ago a friend of mine made a snide comment about me being frugal. Of course I laughed and let it go; however, I bounced a question back her way. I asked, what do they call people who are reckless spenders......another friend chimed in and said that's simple.....they call them BROKE!!!! I thought that was hilarious – she hit the nail right on the head.

A HUGE benefit that I have reaped from being frugal is I have money to spend it WHEN I want to spend it. If I decide I want to go out and buy new furniture or a new car I can do that….I am not being boastful; however, I want to make the tangible benefits of saving as obvious as possible.

I also want to clarify the definition of being frugal. According to dictionary.com, the definition of frugal is: economical in use or expenditure; prudently saving or sparing; not wasteful: a frugal manager.

Please do NOT mistake being frugal for being stingy, selfish or anything other than being “cost conscious” and not being wasteful.

I am a huge Dave Ramsey fan and his philosophy is “live like no one else, so later you can live like no one else”. He advocates saving and investing to build wealth so later you can bless your friends and family. God loves a cheerful giver and being a conscious saver will enhance your ability to do God’s will.

No comments: